Learning to Sew and Serve


And having fun while doing it!
The Young Women in my ward at church have been working hard the last two weeks to sew pillowcase dresses to send with my Mom to Haiti. There were some very talented and gracious women in my ward who also made some cute little dresses, namely Jan and Annie. Someday I hope to be able to sew like these women!
We ended up with 34 dresses, I think, and even had little shirts or onesies donated to match with each little dress. Cute huh?
I live by some very kind and great women, and I am so glad they would share their time and money and talents with the young girls in Corvallis (teaching them and helping them to sew dresses) and in Haiti!

Might as well put in a plug for Haitian Roots while I am here too. Check them out. Great way to help give a child a future through education...and it is difficult to say 'no' to faces as beautiful as these.

4 comments:

emily a. said...

I was so excited to hear about this project from my mom. I can tell some of the dresses my made by familiar fabric. What a neat project!

Meg said...

Emily, your Mom made more than 10 dresses...and they are SO cute! I need to take Annie 101! She is so great!

Toni said...

That is so cool! There is nothing better than sewing and crafting with other people so you can see how to do it, even better when it's for a good cause. And seriously, I am so jealous of where you live.

Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing this with me. As you can imagine, I'm writing through teary vision.
There is something sweet, powerful and very satisfying about serving others. It brings out the very best in humanity. It is true charity, the pure love of Christ, that motivates, inspires and empowers this kind of work.
Please give my love to all those who participated. Please let them know that their efforts will bring joy, a sense of belonging and sisterhood to the girls who will receive their labor of love.
I will be sure to take photos and video to share with you.
You are special! Thanks Megan for sparking the idea and running with it. . .you are awesome!
Love, MOM