Ben and I took a trip to Kauai last week and left Maria in the good care of our friends and family (thanks Lindsey and Mark, Gma Lesli and Papa Art). It was very good to get away and was so much fun to explore the island and do so many of the things that we love to do while traveling. People kept asking us if we were on our honeymoon, and then were shocked to find that we were working on 9 years. I guess it was pretty obvious that we were having the time of our lives.
Some of the trip highlights:
--late night hottubbing at the hotel and swimming in the huge heated outdoor pools and watching the stars in the sky...and listening to the waves crash...pretty much like Heaven (I hope)
--eating fresh local fruit and fish and shave ice


--hiking up the Na Pali Coast on the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi' ai Beach (only accessible by boat or helicopter or hiking trail) then blazing the treacherous (and REALLY MUDDY!) trail and crossing back and forth over the river to reach the falls at the top
--falling asleep on the beach in the SUN (ahhh, I can feel the warmth now!)
--snorkeling with the sea turtles at 'Anini beach
--looking for shells
--helicopter ride (This was amazing. Ben had a smile on his face the whole time!)
--kayaking up the Wailua River to then hiking to the falls and being chased (literally) by the rain, that won and caught us
--rope swings and cliff jumping
--eating at open air and/or beach front restaurauts like Olympic Cafe (we ate there 3 x), oh and their Kuaui Hula Pie - just imaging a piece of pie that is about 8 inches tall made of layered chocolate and mocha or Kahlua-type ice cream, chocolate fudge and caramel loaded with coconut, and then topped with whip cream and surrounded by a thick oreo crust. It was better that I can even describe!!!
--seeing the dolphins and the majestic and beautiful Napali Coast from the Zodiac boat
--all the beauty of Kuaui!!! the flowers, and vines, and beaches, and trees and water - breathtaking, all of it.
To top it off, we had some extra good fortune on the trip (minus the rain, which follows us apparenlty) too, like making it to the airport on time and getting upgraded seats (for frizzle), getting a room upgrade from our one bedroom to a huge two bedroom (no one beds left, instead we could have brought 4 extra adults and they would have had a bed to sleep it), being given delish local fish from some people staying at the hotel people.
Like most of our other traveling adventures: We can't wait to get back and do it all again (this time with kayaking up the Napali and camping...anyone interested? We could child swap!)
Some of the trip highlights:
--late night hottubbing at the hotel and swimming in the huge heated outdoor pools and watching the stars in the sky...and listening to the waves crash...pretty much like Heaven (I hope)
--eating fresh local fruit and fish and shave ice

--hiking up the Na Pali Coast on the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi' ai Beach (only accessible by boat or helicopter or hiking trail) then blazing the treacherous (and REALLY MUDDY!) trail and crossing back and forth over the river to reach the falls at the top --falling asleep on the beach in the SUN (ahhh, I can feel the warmth now!)
--snorkeling with the sea turtles at 'Anini beach
--looking for shells
--helicopter ride (This was amazing. Ben had a smile on his face the whole time!)--kayaking up the Wailua River to then hiking to the falls and being chased (literally) by the rain, that won and caught us
--rope swings and cliff jumping
--eating at open air and/or beach front restaurauts like Olympic Cafe (we ate there 3 x), oh and their Kuaui Hula Pie - just imaging a piece of pie that is about 8 inches tall made of layered chocolate and mocha or Kahlua-type ice cream, chocolate fudge and caramel loaded with coconut, and then topped with whip cream and surrounded by a thick oreo crust. It was better that I can even describe!!!--all the beauty of Kuaui!!! the flowers, and vines, and beaches, and trees and water - breathtaking, all of it.
To top it off, we had some extra good fortune on the trip (minus the rain, which follows us apparenlty) too, like making it to the airport on time and getting upgraded seats (for frizzle), getting a room upgrade from our one bedroom to a huge two bedroom (no one beds left, instead we could have brought 4 extra adults and they would have had a bed to sleep it), being given delish local fish from some people staying at the hotel people.
Like most of our other traveling adventures: We can't wait to get back and do it all again (this time with kayaking up the Napali and camping...anyone interested? We could child swap!)
8 comments:
Oh, I've had that Kuaui Hula pie! I totally know what you are talking about! It's AMAZING!!!! My mom and I ordered it every night when we were in Kuaui. We have to figure out a way to recreate it! I can almost taste it now! It looks like you guys had so much fun! You guys are adventurous! Sweet rope swing! We loved having Maria. She was an absolute doll! We had so much fun with her! She's part of the family now! Just so you know! Super cute blog! You guys have been all over Oregon! Call us when you're going out on your next adventure!!!! We love having you for friends as well!
umm yeah i'm interested!! you guys do the most fun stuff! char and i are really hoping to go there in sept. please share your tips. where did you stay?
Our helicopter ride over Maui and Molokai'i was one of the most amazing things we've ever done. LOVED IT. Can't wait to get to Kuaui someday.
J-E-A-L-O-U-S-!!!!!!!!!
I wanta trip like that!
Ooooh me too. Soooo jealous!
Love you!
Sounds AMAZING! You are quite the adventurers - you really did it all. And I totally agree on the Hula pie, it's to die for! That would make a fabulous couples trip for a big group. Let us know when you're planning round 2. My hubby always talks about wanting to camp in Hawaii (while I'm more the resort type :)
I've been waiting for this post!! I'm so happy you guys had such a fun and adventurous trip, not that I'm surprised! I am in for the next Kauai trip, that would be a blast! Oh, and I'm very jealous as well but smiling for you! love you meg and ben, and miss that sweet Maria!
oh my gosh..this trip sounds so much better than i had assumed! freak! next time invite me!!!
Post a Comment