Birthday Walk With Grandma

November 23, 2012
Grandma turns 89 years today!

Today was my Grandma Colleen Lane's birthday.  
I decided I wanted to go with her on her daily walk, and so we (Malan and I) did.
We walked from her house through the corner of WSU campus to Harrison, then along Harrison to 42nd Street and then back North along Harrison to 36th Street and back up to Lark Circle and home. 
While on the walk I asked Grandma what she wants to do this year and she replied, 
"I guess just keep on livin'!"
As we walked, an armored car passed on the road.  Grandma started laughing and said it reminded her of Jack (my grandpa) and how he and his buddy had plans to break into a Brink's Armored Car...they thought they would be set after that!  What?! I can picture it now!
She told me the story of how her Uncle Jim would give her a penny to wear his old muddy work boots down to the Mortensen's Grocery Store on 31st to buy him some Bull Derm tobacco and a pack of papers.  She would buy licorice or this chocolate covered marshmellow treat with a 'nigger baby' inside of it.  (her words)
I never knew that my Grandma had her tonsils removed in the doctor's office as a child. She said that during the procedure they nicked an artery and in fixing it, caused her to have choking and swallowing issues for the rest of her life. I just thought she choked on stuff because she was old!
She talked all about how she would lay on the floor below the radio and listen to the Lucky Strike Hit List (aka Your Hit Parade) each week and then get the lyrics from a store magazine and be able to sing along.  She said she loved it.
I heard some of the same stories I have hear hundreds of times before: the Indianappollis apartment shenanigans, the baby buggy, Jimmy the monkey, Jimmy the person, rationing food, driving cross country, rheumatic fever, being an only child with 5 dogs, and more.
What a treat for me to spend the morning with my Grandma.
Happy Birthday!

**Note: my phone is pretty dang crappy, esp when it comes to taking pictures.  Note the fabulous SUNSHINE!!!! Oh, there is nothing like it.  Makes me miss Utah something fierce.
Grandma just kept saying, "Well this has been fun!"  I am so glad I have this memory to cherish of my Grandma...never know how many of these I will get. 
"We all stick together...In all kinds of weather!"  - Grandma's token line

No comments: