December 15, 2012
Tonight we went to Milwaukie, OR and then on up to Portland to see some of the Christmas festivities.
We started the night in Milwaukie (SE of Portland) at the city's Winter Solstice Bonfire and Christmas Ships Party at Waterfront Park. We had hot cocoa, listened to a caroling group and some high school bands play and sing Christmas music, warmed by this huge bonfire, and watched the Christmas ships come down the river.
(There was some mud and waaaaaiiiiiitttting and baby wrestling involved too.)
Maria got her OWN peppermint hot cocoa. Pretty happy not so have to share with me.
I know all these pictures are sub par, but it was muddy and I was sloshing around, it was dark, and the big challenge was the 10-month old I was wrestling the whole time. Luckily I got one focused picture and I didn't drop Malan in the mud - tho that is what she wanted most, to be on the ground in the mud.
This whale ship has been in the parade every year. The lights for water coming out of the blowhhole go on and off and there is a little baby calf following.
Crummy night picture.
All the Christmas Ships circling and then making their way up the river.
After the Ships we drove to Portland for dinner at the highly acclaimed Lovely's Fifty-Fifty. It was so dang good. My dates were quite pleasent and we all loved the salad and pizza and ice cream too. (The pizza had roasted yellow finn potatoes with melted leeks, bacon and taleggi - I didn't even know what taleggi was. Whatever it was, it was so delicious!)
After dinner, it was PJ's and Peacock Lane time.
Last year we drove thru it. This year it was walking only...much better, just wasn't expecting that.
Peacock Lane is a little street in SE Portland with cute houses - kind of reminds me of the Avenues in SLC. I am a sell-out for stuff like this.
After dinner, it was PJ's and Peacock Lane time.
Last year we drove thru it. This year it was walking only...much better, just wasn't expecting that.
Peacock Lane is a little street in SE Portland with cute houses - kind of reminds me of the Avenues in SLC. I am a sell-out for stuff like this.
For you Liz.
(Oh and notice the tree sign in the bottom left corner. Welcome to OR!)
Our attempt at a picture together.
Malan never woke up for any of the lights.
This one yard have a bunch of these little lit up snowmen.
Notice the baby Jesus is not in the manger. We noticed.
We waited in a long line to see Santa. Maria said she wanted to, so we did.
When it came time for her to say hi and get a candy cane - no sitting on the lap or lame pictures required (thank goodness), she wouldn't even come near him. I was a frustrated parent! Even with the bribe of the candy cane, Maria wanted NOTHING to do with Santa.
Til next year Peacock Lane.
...I think that I love Christmas lights so much because they make me feel warm inside. I like the old bulbs/lights. They are soothing to look upon and they remind me of happy times and help me to want to cherish the simple pleasure of childhood - which I now see in my girls - and continue to enjoy things that make me feel warm and remind me of the love of the Savior.


No comments:
Post a Comment