A Visit with Coke - Utah Summer Vacation Part IV

June 2013
While in Utah we visited all of the grand and great-grandparents.  I really try and get some pictures each time of my children interacting with these amazing people. . . so that they will remember and hopefully be able to recall some of the feelings and memories they had during these special times.
So here is our visit with Malan and Maria's Great-Grandma Coke Lane.
Malan is just in awe over my Grandma.  She just watches her.
Haning out on the front porch.  This is a few minutes before Malan starting running laps and then dove off the steps
and scraped her head, arm and leg.  I am pretty sure my Grandma's reflexes were a LOT faster than mine - no kidding.

Singing together.   I asked my Grandma what songs she sang as a child and she gave me
a hard time for putting me on the spot, saying, "Ohhhh, I don't know."
When we went outside to the porch she started singing and May sang
right along with her and did everything she did: stomped feet, clapped hands...
everything.  It was so cute.
(Maria was being a stubborn one bc she wanted a 'treat,' and she KNOWS
Great-Grandma lane never disappoints in the treat department.)

Oh my gosh, this melts me.  I took a bunch of pics and these two little birds (one old and one young) had the
exact same expressions.  It was priceless.

Maria scored a Wrigley's Spearmint Gum, a Werther's and a Mint Lifesaver - all from Grandma's pocket stash.
Great-Grandma Lane with Malan and Maria
To remember: Grandma Lane is one spry and witty lady.  She LOOOVES when we come to visit and I love to see her reaction when we pull up to her house.  She will come out to greet us and usually says things like, "Well, if it isn't Megan and her sweet little girls....When did you get in to town?" or "Well isn't this nice!  How long are you going to be in town? Well, isn't this nice.  Oh, this is just so nice..."  My Grandma is probably 95 lbs of kindness and worry wrapped up in one-liners like: "We all stick together"  (and we say: In all kinds of weather), and "Give me the hi sign" to which we give her the hi sign...even Maria has got it down.  She gets down on the ground and plays with my kids or to pose with the little kids for a pictures.  She talks to her dog Kobe like he is her best friend and bodygaurd...and he pretty much is.  Grandma misses Grandpa ever so much, and I am so proud of her for all that she continues to do, and all that she chooses to find so much joy in.  She repeats the same stories of how she was an only child and never had any kids to play with, and then went on to have six kids.  The story is not a new one, but the message is pretty powerful and I am learning that there is a huge legacy of love and happiness that my Grandma Lane has made (and continues to make), and I love to see her love, because she does an amazing job of it.  
When I am 89, I would love to be as happy and optimistic as she is.  Love you Grandma.

1 comment:

Lizbeth said...

These pictures made me cry! So so so sweet. I am in love with all this cuteness!