William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge

 May 2014
Finley Wildlife Refuge
Meg, Maria and Malan with friends Liz and Pearl Sproul












Flowers for Mommy

Malan kept giving me her rocks to hold. It always makes me smile when I pull the rocks out of my pockets, days later, when I am sorting clothes for the laundry.

To remember:  The weather was warming up in Corvallis, so we thought it time to start our spring adventuring.  We met our friends (Liz and Pearl) at Finley for a walk around the area.  I don't know all of the history of the refuge, but there are some old barns and farm houses that are quite intriguing and I am sure have a story to tell.  The little girls just wanted to get inside the barn to look for owls (well Malan and Pearl did and Maria, my little rule keeper and somewhat anxious child, was going to protect the little girls at all costs!).  We strolled the board walk, looking for bugs and birds, and ran through the tall grass. Malan picked lots of little flowers and a load of rocks and dutifully delivered them all to me.  I think I will look back on this memory and feel happy that my girls enjoy nature and the simple beauties and pleasures of being outside, playing with rocks and looking for bugs and animals.  I will always think is so sweet that Maria still wants to dress just like her sister (where possible).  Maria and Malan have a handful of twinner outfits (most compliments of Jill Humphreys), and Maria insists that if one of them has on a matching outfit/dress, that the other wear hers too.
Also, realizing more and more how important it is to surround myself (and my family) with good people, that LOVE ME AND LOVE MY CHILDREN.  It is evident, when my children feel safe and loved and accepted by others.  It gives me a sense or reassurance too.  Malan and Maria love Liz and her family - which was obvious during our Finley outting because Malan kept asking Liz to hold her. Pretty darn cute. 

No comments: