
Pictures L-R: Dr. Bill Magee (Op Smile Co-Founder) and me; The OR Nurses: Cynde, Rosy, Thomas, Susan and me; More volunteers.
I had the privelege of going to Mexico as an Operation Smile volunteer! I have wanted to go on another mission since I had the opportunity in May 2002 to go to Peru. Well I got my chance! I worked in the Operating Room with an international team from Mexico, Bolivia, Peru, Venezuala, Ecuador, and more. During the week we performed surgery on almost 100 children (and a couple adults), performing almost 200 procedures! What a great accomplishment, and for the people, especially the babies and children and their parents...what a life changing experience.



This is a beautiful little girl I took care of. Here are some before and after pictures. As you can see, she had a cleft lip and palate. She is too young to have a palate repair, so she had her cleft lip repaired. She will have the cleft palate and probabaly a nose revision once she is at least 1 year old.
Pictures L-R: Yolanda and me; I loved working with Fernando, Angelica, and Edwar; The Birthday Boy!; Volunteers with the Birthday Boy
This is Yolando, a young girl who was muy inteligente! She knew everything there was to know about her surgery...how long it would take...what the nurses and doctors were going to do...I was amazed, especially because her Spanish was easy to understand and I was able to agree with everything she told me. She wanted me to take a picture of her, so here it is! The little boy in the hat just happened to be the Birthday Boy. I did my best rendition of "Feliz Cumpleanos a Ti," and then he walked around the ORs like he was on a horse with a gun (spray bottle). The volunteers really made a big deal out of his birthday and his smile says so.
I want to thank the Operation Smile organization, the founders, the sponsors, the volunteers, and the families that trusted (and continue to trust) us, as Operation Smile volunteers. Thank you for the opportunity to serve and help to improve the world, one child at a time. I am amazed by and honored to have had this experience. Thank you. Thank you.

5 comments:
Megan! So great to see you in the blogging world again. What a great experience for you! You guys are so giving of your time and energy! Way to be.
Megan, I loved the pictures of some of the kids you helped. You amaze us with the many good things you do. Your love for others just radiates! Love you!
Mega,
Thanks for sharing your adventures and service. I felt sad and happy seeing the little baby with the cleft and palate (terms?). I'm glad that you could help so many children there. As grandma Lane would say, "Way to go!"
Tylezian
Megan, you are amazing!! Thank you so much for putting up such great pictures! It must have been incredible to know you were helping the lives of so many people. Talk about service--you always seem to do good and make people happy where ever you go!
Love the new backdrop!!! It's awesome!! The picstures of Nepal are great!!
Post a Comment