This Thanksgiving we were especially thankful for VISITORS! 

Lesli and Art (Ben's mom and her husband) and Grandma and Grandpa Pantone (Ben's grandparents) came to spend the holiday week/weekend with us. We had a wonderful time and I think they (especially Art and Lesli) got a pretty good feel for the land of Oregon and our city Corvallis. Our week was packed with activity from Turkey, to the ocean, to races and even a cute cupcake shop (Saint Cupcake). On Thanksgiving, we started the day with the Thanksgiving Day Albany Scenic Road Race Challenge. Art and I ran the hilly 5+ mile race and Lesli and Ben (with the babelet) ran the 3+ mile race. We broke them in with a 'real' Oregon run: in the RAIN. Thanksgiving day was cold and rainy, perfect for eating yummy food - of which we had plenty- and sitting in front of the fire or around the dinner table enjoying each other's company.



We couldn't have visitors without a visit to the Coast! We spent the day walking along the tide pools and watching the ocean spray, hiking on the trails to Cape Perpetua and the surrounding area, and eating some amazing fish & chips and clam chowda'. The Newport Harbor was full of fat sea lions so we sat and listened to them bark for awhile, then we enjoyed some delectable chocolate treats.



I got to show Art and Lesli some of the cool trails near our home. There were so many new mushrooms in all shapes and forms along the trails.
Aunt LeeAnne and Joel Wallace came to Corvallis on Friday to see Lesli and Art (and us too). We all went to lunch and strolled around downtown Corvallis.




On Saturday we headed up to Portland and the spectacular Multnomah Falls. We hiked some great 'off-the-beaten-path' trails and got to see a handful of other waterfalls in addition to the big one. In Portland we perused through Powell's Bookstore (a HUGE block-size bookstore), strolled around the city streets and saw some of the sites in/around Pioneer Square.
We really enjoyed having family with us for our first holiday 'away'. I wish I would have had a tape recorder on Thanksgiving as each of us expressed what we were personally grateful for. It was a tender and very touching time for all of us as we reflected on the bounteous blessings that are ours'. If only Maria could remember the words of her parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents... Through their words of thanks, each taught me so much about themselves and the things they hold dear.

Thank you Lesli, Art, and Grandma and Grandpa Pantone. We loved having you!
7 comments:
Shed a tear. I LOVED this post. I loved the pictures. Thanksgiving looks so beautiful. And all of Corvallis/Portland looks spectacular. But your sentiments were so thoughtful, Mega. Precious Maria is lucky to have such a nice fam. Love you.
Looks like fun. hey, i need your address. you can email it to me. janessaben at gmail.com
Those mushrooms are pretty fancy! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving!
I love your table setting for thanksgiving dinner! It's all about the presentation! and I know how it feels to be oh so thankful for visitors :)Maria looks so cute in her back pack- Can't wait to see you guys!
Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! Loved the pics, especially the waterfall. My grandparents lived in Oregon before they died and we would go hike Mulnomah falls everytime we visited. It is so spectacular there. you are very lucky to live so close.
What a pretty place to live! I'm glad you had visitors for Thanksgiving. Maria looks like she loves hiking in her backpack! She is adorable.
Megan, you are a good writer. I'm glad you guys had such a nice Thanksgiving with family. I've heard of Powell's bookstore--sounds cool! And the coast looks wonderful. I'm so proud of you guys for exploring and loving your new surroundings. I miss you!
Amy
Post a Comment