Who needs stuffed animals....

When you can have a BOOK!

Maria and I have been having a little battle the last week or so. Maria will wake up in the night, usually between midnight and two or three and wail and wail. The first couple of nights I couldn't figure out what the deal was, but the last three nights she has pointed to her books...picked up her books...reached from her bed to her books...even said "BOOK!" (yep, even in the wee hours of the morn).

Last night it was going on for what seemed like forever. I sat her in the rocking chair with a book and went downstairs to get milk (another thing I don't usually do in the midnight hours for her) and I came back to Maria 'reading' a book in the dark. No, she didn't want milk either, just her book. I put her in bed and she wouldn't stop the tears, yes, real tears for the books! Is this my child...again, I think this comes from Ben's side, they are the book lovers!

I caved and tossed a book into her bed. This is what I found in the morning.

Help me out? Suggestions? (Thanks Liz L...maybe you and Maria can have a support group for midnight readers!)

And this book-reading behavior is not just a regular occurrence at home. Here too!

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

If the kid wants to sleep with some board books, by all means let her. I learned a long time ago to just let them have their strange little vices. Sasha wanted to sleep with huge, hot, filthy, old fuzzy slippers on in the middle of summer and I said "do what you like my dear".

Lizbeth said...

This is the funniest thing i have ever seen! I cannot believe she does that...and for a book?! hahaha Oh the lovey :)

Katie said...

put a book in bed with her after she falls asleep (for the first time...8 p.m.-ish). then when she wakes in the middle of the night, lo and behold, she'll have a little prize for her.
i agree with stefanie, just let her have it. at least she's not wanting something a little less than desirable.
xoxo little girl.

Nancy said...

Love the post. Love the pics! Especially love the lovey!
How could a book in bed be a problem? I agree, let the child have her book.
You're a good Mommy Megan! Keep up the good work!
Love, MOM