My Grandpa Lane

My Grandpa Lane passed away on November 17th.
He is my first grandparent to die, and it has made me so very grateful for the time and memories I have with him in my 32 years of life.
I will really miss him: his contagious laugh; the big gap between his front teeth; his strong opinions (we would get into some heated discussions which ended with both of us laughing and him calling me a *-lover, fill it in with whatever group or person I was sticking up for!); the way he interacted with Maria...he loved her and she was quite fond of him too; his cursings, oh man, those were funny times too; his Daffy Duck voice; his willingness to always adjust my back and neck and then follow it with a back rub; his big strong hands; his big bear hugs; his compliments.
I will miss his big smile and complimenting him on how he looked so good, and would then get all bashful and embarrassed. I will miss him saying how proud he is of me and Ben.
I will miss him saying he wanted to move up to my house, with all the green trees!
I will miss him.

His one request was to have someone sing the song, "On a Clear Day" at his funeral. I had never heard the song before, but a trio of women from my street pulled together a beautiful, beautiful rendition of the song. (Thanks Katie, for getting this.)

On a clear day
Rise and look around you
And you'll see who you are.

On a clear day
How it will astound you
That the glow of your being
Outshines every star.

You'll feel part of every mountain, sea and shore
You can hear
From far and near
A word you've never, never heard before...

And on a clear day...
On a clear day...
You can see forever...
And ever
And ever
And ever more.

The song was the perfect way to show how sensitive, kind and thoughtful Grandpa was.

Love you Grandpa.

No comments: