Open Mic with Maria

Today when Maria and I were talking about letters or something, we had a conversation like this:
Meg: So, Maria can you find the letter?
Maria:   Hmmm...Let me think about dat.  I will think about it in my heart.

Later on, I asked her what she wanted for lunch and she said, "Well, I been thinking about it in my heart and my fav'rit lunch is noodies, so dat what I want."  
[Translation: I want some Ramen for lunch. I have no idea why it is her favorite.]


I noticed the inside garage door was locked.  I asked Maria about it and she said, "Mom, I locked the door so the bad guys and dragons don't come it.  They weally weally scare me Mom."


Last night Maria said her nighttime prayers and said, "And I thankful for the Martin kids, the Nephites and the Lamanites, and for Jesus."  


Maria has been attempting to learn some calming techniques (or I have been trying to teach her) to use when she is freaking out over something.  One day, as I was trying to feed Malan, Maria was all worked up in her room about something and I couldn't go in and help her at that moment.  I asked her to come in my room and sit on the floor and wait.  She did and was very upset.  I asked her if she wanted to calm down and she said she needed help because she was "so frus-rated and ane-gee."  I thought I would try something new.  I told her to close her eyes (which to my shock, she actually did) and think about a very happy place. I asked her what she was thinking about and she said, "I thinking about Namma Nancy and Poppa Sock's house."  Maria went on to tell me about all the fun things she does there, and got so animated about it!  
Not only did this little exercise work (this time - who knows about next time), but it was a great chance to hear about some of the things that make my little girl happy.  And she was - happy!


Maria is really missing her cousins and grandparents right now.  If they could hear her go on and on and ON about how she misses them, they would cry too.

1 comment:

Lizbeth said...

She is seriously hilarious. Love that girl oh so much!